In South Africa Nigerian man charged with using 12-year- old girl as sex slave denied bail

The investigating officer, Constable Mapule Mahlaba, submitted an affidavit detailing why the accused should be denied bail.

  • Published: , Refreshed:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Remember the viral story of the Nigerian man who was accused of kidnapping,  raping and grooming 12-year-old girl as sex slave in South Africa? He has been denied bail at the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court.

Augustine Obono, 36, was arrested last month for abducting the girl and keeping her in his flat for two months. Police said the man repeatedly raped her before her escape. It is also alleged that he was trying to groom her for prostitution.

The State, led by advocate Andrew Mphaga, opposed his bail application. The investigating officer, Constable Mapule Mahlaba, submitted an affidavit detailing why the accused should be denied bail.

Mahlaba also indicated that she received a petition from an organisation called the Progressive Women’s Movement, with 261 signatures asking the court to deny bail.

According to the Citizen SA, the girl was walking to a nearby park to meet friends when she encountered an unknown woman who convinced her to go to the accused’s flat in Sunnyside.

The girl said she slept in the flat with the unknown woman with the understanding that she would return home the following day, but when she woke up the next morning the accused was sitting on the side of the bed next to her. The woman has since disappeared.

The applicant then forced the victim to make him money by prostituting herself and when the victim refused, the applicant assaulted her and raped her repeatedly,” the police reported.

He allegedly locked her up in the flat, sometimes without food, and supplied her with drugs. His plan was to get her addicted so he could control her.

"She eventually succumbed and worked for the applicant as a prostitute and handed the money received to the applicant.

She later escaped after Obono forgot to lock the door.

The girl's uncle refused to speak to the media, but indicated he would be available at the next court appearance.

The case has been postponed to February 8 for further investigations.