24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

What would have been a joyful anticipation for Temitope Makinde as she looked forward to her wedding in a few months time, has turned to sorrow after she lost her fiance, Damilare Oladapo Oluwafeyisan, to a fire disaster.

Also Read: "Gone Too Soon: Young female lawyer dies few days to her wedding"

According to Makinde who spoke to Tori News, the 35-year-old Oluwafeyisan, who was an Operations Manager with an international pay television company based in Minna, Niger State, lost his life on Monday, October 17, 2016, after suffering first degree burns in a fire accident from a generator explosion.

Describing the sad incident that led to the demise of her fiance whom she fondly calls Dre, Makinde said he was assisting one of his neighbours to switch off the generating set around 12:15am in the night Sunday, October 16, when it exploded and caught fire which rapidly consumed his body.

The victim was reportedly rushed to the General Hospital in Minna where he gave up the ghost at 9:30pm the following day, apparently due to inadequate medical apparatus and incompetence of the medical officials on duty.

Narrating her ordeal, Makinde said:

"My Dre shouldn't have died at all. No doctor was available to treat him. The available nurses only placed him on drips with no concrete treatment procedures while he laboured to survive in excruciating distress.

In fact, you will not believe the hospital had no drugs at all and other medical kits for accident victims.

The nurses kept referring us to buy stuffs outside the hospital premises. It was crystal clear that Dre was dying as his mode of breathing changed and his heartbeat was irregular while he rolled from one side of the bed to the other in unbearable discomfort.

The deceased, Damilare Oladapo Oluwafeyisan play

The deceased, Damilare Oladapo Oluwafeyisan

(Tori News)

 

The deceased, Damilare Oladapo Oluwafeyisan

Photo Credit: Tori News

I want people, especially the government, to know the importance of having adequate health facilities and well trained medical personnel in the country.

Many promising lives of talented heads have been lost to the absence of adequate medical facilities in government hospitals.

 My Dre was very intelligent, hardworking, always touching lives, smiling and rarely gets angry but I have lost him," she lamented.

Also Read: "Gone Too Soon: Corps member preparing for marriage in December dies a day to passing out"

Makinde who is a civil servant based in Kano State, said their wedding had been fixed for May 17, 2017, but that would be just a dream that never happened.

The deceased was buried on Tuesday, October 18, 2016, at a cemetery in the city by his family members.

Who do you blame for this young man's death?»

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.