A woman whose husband set on fire in Benin has narrated how the incident happened.
A woman who was set on fire by her husband after a domestic quarrel, Margaret Onya, has narrated what led to the incident which has seen her with several degrees of burns at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin, Edo State.
According to the victim, the tragic incident occurred during a misunderstanding with her husband at the couple's 35, JB Street, Ekosodin quarters, off Ugbowo-Lagos Road, over his refusal to attend a burial in her family home.
“We had a quarrel and my husband told me he would teach me a lesson. After our disagreement, I sat on the chair and my husband went inside, brought petrol and wanted to pour it on me.
I held the jar and as we were dragging, I was shouting for help. He overpowered me and poured the contents on me and lit a match.
I was saved by one of my neighbours who rushed into our apartment and put out the fire and then to the hospital,” Onya said, adding that the husband has been on the run since the incident.