10 fun facts about your favourite super hero!
“Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Look, up in the sky, it’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s superman!“
Believe it or not, today Friday, 12 June 2015 is Superman day! We’re sure at a point in your lives, maybe when you were a child you thought the fictional character created by DC Comics was actually real.
Asides from his weakness to 'kryptonite' and his love for Louis Lane, here are some fun facts about Superman.
1. Most of you were introduced to the man with the red cape through animations, feature films and TV series; but Superman’s first appearance was in Action Comics #1, a comic book published in 1938.
2. We don’t want to break your hearts, but we have to share this: Superman was once evil. In 1932, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster first created the hero we all love as a villain.
3. In the 1940s, Superman could not fly, he could only jump over tall buildings.
4. The exclusive rights to the character got sold to DC Comics for $130 in 1938.
5. Since 1978, Superman has been in six box office films. A seventh movie titled ‘Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’ is set to be released in 2016.
6. Superman has a cousin called ‘Supergirl’. Her real name is Kara Zor-El but just like Superman, she has to adopt a human identity. On planet earth she is called Linda Lee.
7. With the 'S' on his chest, he joined forces with Muhammed Ali to fight against aliens in Superman vs. Muhammad Ali.
8. “Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor” says Thor. Superman has been one of the worthy few to hold up Thor’s Hammer.
9. Nicholas Cage named his son Kal-el after the strongman in 2004.
10. Metropolis does exists. Metropolis, Ilinios was officially recognized as the home of Superman 43years ago. This year, the city is hosting series of events over four days to celebrate their local hero.