A Kensington Palace spokesman said on March 16: "The Prince has had a fulfilling military career and considers it a huge honour to have served his country in the Armed Forces."
Prince Harry will no longer be a part of the British Armed Forces come June after serving for 10 years, Kensington Palace confirmed March 16.
Reports say the fourth in line to the throne will spend the summer working alongside conservation groups in Africa.
In addition, he will also undertake voluntary work with injured servicemen while 'actively considering other longer term employment opportunities'.
In a statement the 30-year-old prince, who has seen two tours of duty in Afghanistan, admitted that it had been a "tough decision" to leave the job he loved.
But sources close to the prince said he had reached a 'natural crossroads' in his career and, after much soul-searching, had decided he had no desire to 'progress through the ranks'.
A Kensington Palace spokesman said: "The Prince has had a fulfilling military career and considers it a huge honour to have served his country in the Armed Forces, during which time he has undertaken two operational tours of duty in Afghanistan, qualified as an Apache Aircraft Commander and spearheaded the Invictus Games."
Some senior royal commentators have already questioned the wisdom of Harry leaving the forces – which have given the once wayward prince so much direction in his life – at the age of just 30.