A rider is a set of requests or demands that a performer sets as criteria for performance.
We've heard several ridiculous riders. For example, Elton John required that his dressing room be kept at "16 °C in summer and 21 °C in winter." Lady Gaga wanted her staff to speak in a particular accent all through a particular event.
But Jay Z and Kanye West are apparently high up on the list of bizzare requests, according to a list released by TMZ.
So whether its having rooms at specific temperatures, or having outdated speakers in the rooms, these guys love their details.
Jay Z’s List:
- Rooms must be 71 degrees.
- There must be three $80 Mayan tuberose-scented candles in the room.
- No vacuuming is allowed near his room.
- Staff should not ask for free concert tickets if they want to “avoid embarrassment.”
- Ace of Spades Champagne should be in the room, but he cannot be charged for it since he owns the company.
Kanye West’s List:
- Vases in the room need to be cylindrical.
- The room must have a Genelecs 1031a speaker (which was discontinued a decade ago).
- All floss must be minty.
- There must be Kashi GoLean cereal.
- All towels must be black.
- His list of booze includes 13 bottles, which total $3,200.
Kanye West, 38, has no requirements that are specific to his daughter, North West, 2, for now.
Jay Z, 45, on the other hand, has plenty of child-centric demands for his little girl, Blue Ivy, 3.
His entire suite must be childproofed, including covering sharp edges, keeping electrical outlets covered, and removing all breakable objects. And in case you were wondering, Blue only drinks organic whole milk.